The best sports teams are the ones in which teammates consistently find ways to get the best out of each other. They know what motivates each of their fellow athletes, and they look for opportunities to encourage, challenge and refresh their hearts.
- Who refreshes your heart after a long practice? Can you see his or her face in your mind?
- Who breathes new life into your heart after a tough loss? What is his or her name?
- How do these people encourage you and help you be your best?
The Apostle Paul had such a person in his life. His name was Philemon, and we see a glimpse of his character in Paul’s letter to him: “For I have great joy and encouragement from your love, because the hearts of the saints have been refreshed through you, brother” (Philemon 1:7).
- Paul received great joy and encouragement when his friend refreshed the hearts of others. What do your teammates do that refreshes your heart and encourages you?
- What do you do that encourages and refreshes your teammates?
- We refresh the hearts of coaches when we show good character. What are some excellent character traits that encourage your coaches?
- How can you use your good character to encourage your coaches?
- As you compete today, refresh the hearts of your teammates and coaches.
- Give them your absolute best effort. That will encourage everyone!
- In this process, everyone gets better, and you will spread joy and encouragement to all those around you.
Memory Verse: “Finally, brothers, rejoice. Become mature, be encouraged, be of the same mind, be at peace, and the God of love and peace will be with you.” – 2 Corinthians 13:11