Leadership is not easily defined, but it can be easily seen. We are inspired every day by great leaders in sports, classrooms, politics, ministries and more. One of my favorite quotes comes from President John Quincy Adams: “If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader."
Great Influence equals great leadership. There is nobody in the world that has had more influence than Jesus Christ. He was able to teach 11 disciples in three years to change the world for all eternity. Now that is a leader!
- What are some of the greatest leaders that have influenced you?
- What were the qualities of those leaders that influenced you?
- Read Hebrews 13:7: “Remember your leaders, who spoke the word of God to you. Consider the outcome of their way of life and imitate their faith.”
- Why is it important to “remember your leaders”?
- What are some of the leadership qualities that Jesus had?
- What are some of the leadership qualities you see in your teammates?
- What are some of the leadership qualities you want to imitate as an athlete and a follower of Christ?
Jesus Christ provides the greatest example of leadership. As you look to Him through the Bible, think through some of the realistic steps that you want to take today to become a leader on your team.
Memory verse: “May your hand be ready to help me, for I have chosen Your precepts. I long for the salvation, Lord, and your instruction is my delight. Let me live, and I will praise you; may Your judgments help me.” –Psalm 119:173-175