We will search our entire lives for people who will love us: our parents, friends, teammates, etc. We want someone who will look past our failures and weaknesses and still love us. We want someone who really knows the real us and still loves us. Well, look no more…His name is Jesus! The Bible says John 15:13, “There is no greater love than to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.” Jesus didn’t just tell us He loved us, he showed us. If we ever doubt if we are loved, just remember what Christ did for us on the cross.
- Who, in your life, do you associate with love?
- How do they show that they love you?
- How does the world define love?
- Read 1 Corinthians 13:1-13.
- Write down all that “love is…” by listing the descriptions of love.
- How did Jesus show His love for us?
- How can we show His love to our teammates, coaches and family?
- Write down someone who needs the love of Jesus in his or her life (it may be you).
Jesus’ love for us is not based on our performance, our behavior or status. He loves us unconditionally. Jesus showed His love for us by giving up His life so we can be forgiven and have a real relationship with Him. Seek out people on your team that need to be loved with the unconditional love of Christ and show them through your actions and words.
Memory verse: “This is how God showed his love among us: He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through him.” - 1 John 4:9