Opportunity and Opposition - Chapel
1 – This is a great day for two main reasons – we have a tremendous
opportunity and a worthy opponent.
- The opportunity is that we, a strong, developing, ambitious team get to compete against another strong, developing, ambitious team. This makes for a great match up.
- The worthy opponent is obvious. Competing with this opponent at this point in the season is great for us. We get a good test of our team’s real strength, our character and our hunger to win.
2 – This reminds me of a powerful scripture.
I Corinthians 16:8-9 and 13-14 (read the text)
- Opportunity and opposition – this is why the Apostle Paul decides to stay.
- There is a wide door for effective service and he has many adversaries.
- Most people see opposition as contrary to opportunity, but they actually go well together.
- Most times in sport, a worthy opponent makes for more opportunity.
3 – Today we have both opportunity and opposition – so what should we
do? Follow the instructions from verses 13-14.
- Be on the alert – everyone on the roster must be ready, all day.
- Stand firm – when adversity hits, stand firm and meet it head on.
- Act like men – men act with courage, conviction and discipline.
- Be strong – of body, of mind and of heart. Be complete players.
- Let all you do be done in love – Love for your teammates will lead you to be a great team collectively and great teammates individually.
4 – Summary
- Our opportunity and our opposition demand:
- That we be on the alert
- That we stand firm
- That we act like men
- That we be strong
- That we do everything in love
This resource provided by Roger D. Lipe
1 Corinthians 16