I love ESPN Sports Center. One of my favorite parts is when the latest news scrolls across the bottom of the screen. Here is a news flash worthy of being on Sports Center…you will have adversity! We ALL go through sports and life facing adversity such as divorce in one’s family, sports injuries, the loss of a friend or teammate, etc. The question is – how do we overcome these trials and challenges?
- What is the biggest challenge you have had to overcome as an athlete?
- What is your first response when faced with adversity…quit, cry, anger?
- Read Philippians 3:13-14: “But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead. I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.”
- The writer of this verse was a man named Paul who faced many adversities in his lifetime. He was thrown into jail, beaten, and even stoned, all because he preached about Jesus. According to this verse, how did he overcome adversity?
- Read James 1:2-4: “Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.”
- What does this verse say we will receive by overcoming adversity?
If you looked at adversity the way the Bible says, how would that help you as an athlete and as a person?
It is difficult to approach challenges and trials with joy. The only way we can, is with God’s help. Spend some time sharing your thoughts and feelings with God and ask Him to help you be an overcomer today!
Memory Verse: “Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him.” James 1:12