Successful teams find ways to push through hard times, losing streaks, injuries and distractions to be at their best when the pressure is the greatest. That is called perseverance. Virtually every team encounters situations which try its character. The best teams pass the test and receive awards as champions.
- What kinds of ribbons, medals or trophies have you won as an athlete?
- Which ones are most valuable to you?
- Let’s read about what wins awards from God’s trophy case in James 1:12: “A man who endures trials is blessed, because when he passes the test he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love Him.”
- Who receives the crown of life and when is it rewarded?
- Who in your life has persevered through trials, loves God and seems to be wearing the crown of life? Tell us about him or her.
- What are some trials you regularly endure with your team as you compete in sport?
- What gives you the strength to persevere?
- How do you know when you have passed the test?
List a trial you have recently or are currently facing. Include examples of how you have seen God’s hand of blessing as you endured this trial. Pray for the chance to use your experiences to help a teammate “pass the test” during their times of struggle.
Memory verse: “Consider it a great joy, my brothers, whenever you experience various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance. But endurance must do its complete work, so that you may be mature and complete, lacking nothing.” – James 1:2-4