Sacrifice - Chapel
1 – How does a competitor demonstrate genuine love for his teammates?
- In the book about Coach Joe Ehrmann, “Season of Life” it says that the coaches’ job is to love the players and the players’ job is to love each other.
- Over the last …… months you have done that.
- Let’s continue that in today’s contest.
- Such love and sacrifice could be the key to a victory today.
2 – This is a great scripture on this theme. I John 3:16-18 (read text aloud)
- Christ Jesus is our example – He laid down His life for us.
- We should lay down our lives for our teammates.
- Some have done this by changing positions in mid-season.
- Some have made adjustments in coaching style, daily schedules and more.
- Some are doing it daily as they play through pain, through injuries and more.
- We’re following Jesus’ example in so doing.
- “Let us not love with word and tongue, but in deed and truth.”
- Talk is easy, deeds are tough.
- Talk is cheap, deeds are costly.
- Talk works on practice days, deeds work on game day.
- Words are good for newspapers, truth is good for teammates.
- Words please radio listeners, truth pleases your coaches.
3 – Today, win or lose, we’ll be successful if we:
- Follow Christ’s example and lay down our lives for each other.
- Love not with word and tongue.
- Love in deeds and in truth.
1 John 3