Suffering and Success
1 – This is the sort of situation a competitor dreams about.
- We’re playing for a championship.
- All the events of this season and our combined character have lead us to this day.
2 – Suffering and success – they go together.
- Throughout this season we have experienced plenty of suffering.
- Injuries, infections, illnesses
- Disappointing losses
- Players lost to other issues
- We have also experienced great success.
- Big wins on the road
- Players winning awards
- Come from behind wins
- Great achievements by the coaching staff
- A conference championship
- Suffering and success have been closely linked. That is normal and even proper.
3 – I see a similar situation in Romans 8:18 (read the text aloud).
- By comparison, the suffering is far surpassed by the success!
- The enduring success totally eclipses momentary suffering.
4 – Examples from this team’s life:
- The pain of pre-season conditioning is far outweighed by the thrill of powerful second-half comebacks.
- The worry and anxiety related to a teammate’s illness or injury is greatly surpassed by the joy of seeing him restored to our team.
- The discomfort from injuries, concussions, infections, and illness pales in comparison when laid along side the victory we’ll achieve this evening.
5 – I encourage you to view this day’s pain and suffering as investments in the victory that awaits us. Make those investments again today and we’ll celebrate our success together.