Warnings and Reminders
Wisdom for a Young Head Coach
II Timothy 2:14-19
- What are the instructions and values about which you constantly remind and warn your staff? (v.14) Academic excellence, honorable behavior, wisdom, hard work, passionate play…
- How does one reward a coach who has proven himself through hard work and wise use of speech? (v.15) Public recognition, financial bonus, personal thanks…
- Where does godless chatter, like in verses 16-18, show up in the world of coaching? Crude stories, gossip about other people, criticizing others on the staff…
- How does such godless chatter act like the gangrene mentioned in verse 17? It eats away at the loyalty, respect and good will on a team…
- Keep the big ideas about coaching in front of your staff constantly.
- Strongly reward the coaches who do particularly well.
- Don’t fall into godless chatter and its destructive pattern of criticism, second guessing and blame shifting.
- Read the bible verse aloud at the beginning.
- The questions for discussion will appear in normal text like this.
- Suggested answers, discussion hints and follow up questions will appear in italics like this.
1 Timothy 2