Light It Up
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and give glory to your father which is in Heaven."
As Christians, our ultimate purpose on earth is twofold: to bring honor and glory to our Lord and Savior, and to share His goodness and love with others. So often we forget that people are watching us and that God has commanded that we be a light to a lost and dying world. When I think of “letting my light shine,” I think of three ways that, as a coach and Christian man, I try to do that every day.
1. Laugh Uncontrollably – We should have much joy in our lives! God says over and over in His Word to “rejoice with joy unspeakable,” “find enjoyment in all that you do,” and to “rejoice in the Lord always.” Too many times we, as Christians, allow the enemy to get us down because of circumstances. We have so much to be thankful for, we should always have a spirit of joy in our lives.
2. Love Unconditionally – As human beings, this is one of the hardest things to do because of our sinful nature. However, isn’t this what God did for us when He sent Jesus to die on the cross? Like Christ, we should strive every day to love people like Jesus loves them, no matter how “unlovable” we may think they are. I love 1 John 3:18, which says, “Let us not love in word or in tongue, but in deed or truth.” Loving ALL people is another way to let our light shine for God.
3. Live Unwaveringly – Unwaveringly means “to be steadfast” or “with absolute resolution.” This means that we live our lives, like Paul says, above reproach. It means we do the right thing because it is the right thing to do, and not because of any consequences or rewards. The prayer of my life each day comes from David’s Psalm, chapter 19 and verse 14: “Let the words of my mouth and the meditations of my heart be acceptable in thy sight, Oh Lord, my strength and Redeemer.”
If we can remember every day to have joy in our lives; if we can love everyone because God loves them; and if we can live a life of integrity and character, then we will truly be letting our light shine and bringing glory to our heavenly Father.
1. How often do you stop to recognize the fact that people are watching you and the way you live your life?
2. In which of these three areas do you need to allow God to have control of today?
3. What steps can you take that will allow your light to shine brighter for Jesus Christ?
1 John 3:11-24