What Does God Dream For You?
-Jeremiah 29:11 (NIV)
As athletes and coaches, we have a tendency to dream big. We dream of championships and of finding success on the field or court. But sometimes we forget that we are already champions in Christ, and that God has big dreams for us of His own! Just what are some of those dreams?
- God dreams that we would be in an intimate relationship with Him. "Oh, for the days when I was in my prime, when God's intimate friendship blessed my house" (Job 29:4)
- God dreams that we would be filled with His Spirit. "And do not get drunk with wine, which is debauchery, but be filled by the Spirit" (Ephesians 5:18). "When they had prayed, the place where they were assembled together was shaken, and they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak the word of God courageously" (Acts 4:31).
- God dreams that we would be pure. "For this is God's will: that you become holy, that you keep away from sexual immorality, that each of you know how to possess his own body in holiness and honor, not in lustful passion like the Gentiles who do not know God" (1 Thessalonians 4:3-5).
- God dreams that we would learn to be submissive and do good. "Be subject to every human institution for the Lord's sake, whether to a king as supreme or to governors as those he commissions to punish wrongdoers and praise those who do good. For God wants you to silence the ignorance of foolish people by doing good. Live as free people, not using your freedom as a pretext for evil, but as God's slaves. Honor all people, love the family of believers, fear God, honor the king" (1 Peter 2:13-17).
- God dreams that we would endure trials well. "He delivers the afflicted by their afflictions, he reveals himself to them by their suffering" (Job 36:15). "This is what comforts me in my trouble, for your promise revives me" (Psalm 119:50).
- God dreams that we would be filled with joy, constantly praying and overflowing with gratitude. "Always rejoice, constantly pray, in everything give thanks. For this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus" (1 Thessalonians 5:16-18).
- God's dreams for us are simple: F+ 0 = S. Faith plus nothing else equals salvation! "Listen! I am standing at the door and knocking! If anyone hears my voice and opens the door I will come into his home and share a meal with him, and he with me" (Revelations 3:20). "Because if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved" (Romans 10:9).
Today, dream big. Dream with God!
2. Are you fighting any of God's dreams for you?