We live in a world in which we’re constantly connected with our friends through phones, school, social media, etc. And these ongoing connections have a huge impact on our daily lives.
John Kuebler once said, “Show me your friends, and I will show you your future.” For better or worse, our friends greatly influence our decisions and choices. And the decisions and choices we make today will have an impact on our lives tomorrow. We must choose our friends wisely.
- Who are some of your closest friends? Why are they your friends?
- What are some qualities in a positive friendship?
- What are some qualities in a negative friendship?
- How much do your friends’ opinions, values and thoughts influence your own?
The Bible gives us wisdom regarding how to choose our friends. Proverbs 13:20 says, “The one who walks with the wise will become wise, but a companion of fools will suffer harm.” When we choose wise friends, we make wiser choices. When we choose foolish friends, we make more foolish choices.
- Name a time when you were positively influenced by your friends.
- Name a time when you were negatively influenced by your friends.
- As members of a team, you have the responsibility to hang out with friends who help you make wise decisions, as this benefits you as a group. How can you as a team hold each other accountable in your friendships?
- Pray and ask God how you can be a positive influence on your friends.
- Pray and ask God if there are some friends that are influencing you in a negative way.
- Pray and ask God to bring friends and/or teammates into your life who will help you make wise choices.
“No one has greater love than this, that someone would lay down his life for his friends.” – John 15:13