Humility Wins: Humility Beats Pride
Take a moment to recall a team that you either played for or against that went undefeated for several weeks of the season. Do you remember how that team seemed to view themselves? How did others see them? Were they proud and arrogant, or were they humble?
- What do you remember about the attitudes of the athletes on the undefeated teams?
- On a scale of 1 to 10 (1 = prideful and 10 = humble), how would you rate your team’s attitude?
- How do attitudes of pride or humility affect a teammate’s relationship with…other teammates?
- other teammates?
Proverbs 18:12 speaks about attitudes of both pride and humility: “Before his downfall a man’s heart is proud, but humility comes before honor.”
- Why would a proud heart lead to a team’s downfall?
- How could that happen to an undefeated team?
- What would be a better attitude for a highly achieving team?
- Why would honor come to a team after it demonstrates humility?
- Guard your attitude when you compete for or against an undefeated team.
- Lead your teammates toward wise humility and away from foolish pride.
- Trust God with the results of each competition and each season. He honors the humble.
“Pride comes before destruction, and an arrogant spirit before a fall.” – Proverbs 16:18