Relentless Devotion - I Pursue Jesus
Individual athletes and sports teams as a whole employ tremendous discipline to pursue their highest possible level of performance and to maximize their potential in sport. Men and women who love God also employ personal disciplines as they pursue a rich relationship with the Lord Jesus.
Which of these personal disciplines do you employ in your pursuit of excellence in competition?
- Personal physical training
- Individual technique practice
- Study of your sport’s strategy
- Video review with a coach
- Practice with your teammates
Which of these personal disciplines do you employ in your pursuit of a relationship with Jesus?
- Daily Bible reading
- Private prayer
- Church attendance
- Writing a prayer journal
- Sharing your faith with others
- Small group Bible study
How much of your whole person would you say is involved in your pursuit of your relationship with Jesus?
- In Moses’ book of the Law called Deuteronomy at chapter 6 and verse 5 we read this: “Love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your strength.”
- To love God with 100 percent requires the engagement of what three parts of ourselves.
- Why would God want all your heart, all your soul and all your strength?
- Describe what it looks like to love God with all of your heart (from the core of your being).
- Who do you know that expresses love for God with all his or her soul (mentally and emotionally)? How can you tell?
- How can athletes express their love for God with all their strength (physically)?
Make a list of several ways you can fully express your love for God with your heart, your soul and your strength within and outside of sports. Commit to pursuing each of these daily.
Memory verse: “Therefore, love the Lord your God and always keep His mandate and His statutes, ordinances, and commands.” – Deuteronomy 11:1