2004: A Year in Review
"Jesus told him, 'I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.'"
2004 was an interesting year in sports…
1. The BCS became the biggest college football screw-up of all time.
2. Hockey was shut down except for one night in Detroit.
3. Steroids became all too real.
4. Terrell Owens proved that he is a better football player than actor.
5. Coaches were hired, fired, hired, fired, hired, fired ... You get the idea.
6. The Olympics offered more medal controversy.
7. Shaq and Kobe split.
8. And Kobe had a little courtroom drama.
Okay, I'm getting depressed. In all seriousness, 2004 was a good year in sports with many great championship moments, but it will be remembered for all the crazy things that happened. What do we have to look forward to in the athletic world? Everyone is getting greedier, players want more money, someone refuses to play for a certain team, and who knows what the Super Bowl halftime show has in store this year? I'm afraid to watch.
This is what I do know will happen in 2005. God will remain in control. He always has been and always will be the Way, the Truth and the Life. He still has one mission for us to follow. That mission is played out on the fields everywhere by young and old athletes who desire to play for the glory of their Savior. There will be game-winning heroics, late comebacks, unbelievable performances, and through it all, God will be given the glory and honor through their actions and attitudes.
I pray that 2005 will be a year in which God will come alive in the hearts and lives of athletes young and old, and they will wear the colors of the Christ who gave them life. Be bold. Be proud. Be a believer in 2005. Stand up and speak out! Share how God has made you who you are in and through Him. Being an athlete is great, but being a Christian athlete is eternal. May God come alive in and through you in 2005. Proclaim Him. Praise Him. And be prepared to share Him this year. God is alive in 2005!
1. Was 2004 a spiritual success for you?
2. What was your biggest "God-thing" in 2004?
3. Today, what can you do to ready yourself spiritually for 2005?
2 Corinthians 5:17