Back to The Basics
“So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.” - 1 Corinthians 10:31
There are many legendary coaches who have taught players to become champions in their sport and in life. Several stand outs are John Wooden and Vince Lombardi. These two were famous for their back to the basics, keep it simple, approach. They built winning national championship teams on the fundamentals that kept their players focused on what mattered most to win as a team. Vince Lombardi was well known for his quote, “Gentlemen, this is a football” as he ushered in a new season with his players. He started from the very beginning and build on a foundation of the fundamentals. He kept it simple so that they remembered the basics when the game got tough.
Then there is John Wooden, the incredible coach of UCLA who took his team to 10 national championships in 12 years. He said, “I think it's the little things that really count. The first thing I would show our players at our first meeting was how to take a little extra time putting on their shoes and socks properly.”
When you think about your sport, going back to the basics is always helpful and it sets the stage for a winning season. Going back to the basics also applies to our spiritual lives! This month we celebrate the 500-year anniversary of the Protestant Reformation. It is built on 5 basic pillars:
- Sola Scriptura (“Scripture alone”): The Bible alone is our highest authority. (2 Timothy 3:16)
- Sola Fide (“faith alone”): We are saved through faith alone in Jesus Christ. (Romans 5:1-2, Galatians 2:16)
- Sola Gratia (“grace alone”): We are saved by the grace of God alone. (Ephesians 2:8)
- Solus Christus (“Christ alone”): Jesus Christ alone is our Lord, Savior, and King. (Colossians 1:15-20, 1 Timothy 2:5-6)
- Soli Deo Gloria (“to the glory of God alone”): We live for the glory of God alone. (1 Corinthians 10:31)
When we consider our Christian faith, these are the basics that we need to remember and begin with in every endeavor. In our over complicated world and our overfilled lives, it’s refreshing to go back to the basics and reflect on these 5 pillars of the Christian faith. When we do, we are ready for a winning season!
- What do you need to simplify in your life to give focus and attention to these Christian fundamentals?
- Does your life demonstrate and illuminate these core beliefs?
- Is there someone that you know that could benefit from hearing these basic building blocks of the Christian faith?
2 Timothy 3:16, Romans 5:1-2, Galatians 2:16, Ephesians 2:8, Colossians 1:15-20, 1 Timothy 2:5-6, 1 Corinthians 10:31
Lord, thank you for continually bringing us back to the basics in our faith journey. Thank you for allowing us to depend on the authenticity of the Bible and reminding us that it is by grace and faith in Jesus Christ alone that we are saved. We desire to live a life that points others to Christ and brings you glory. In Jesus name, Amen.