The Coach - Get Focused Study
“It was easy when I was a kid. Just listen to my folks. Now there are too many people telling me what to do and what to think. It’s pretty confusing. “
-Adam, sophomore on high school swim team
|Need:||Students desire to be certain that the voices they are listening to to are going to be effective.|
|Objective:||Students will see there is the ultimate voice to listen to, Jesus, and it is He who gives life focus.|
This study is all about focus–focusing on who and what we listen to so that we are certain the choices we make in life are going to be the right ones. All of us want to “be all we can be,” and that takes focus. There are all sorts of people who would like to “coach” us, but we need to find the Perfect Coach for each of us.
If Only Your Fantasy Football Team Were This Good
There was a man that was talked about many years before he was born. In fact, very detailed predictions about his life were made thousands of years before he was born. These predictions are recorded in the Bible. There are over 300 of these statements. They all came true. That’s right. Over 300 predictions were fulfilled before he was born.*
||Date of Prediction
|Jesus' Family||1689 BC||Genesis 49:10||Luke 3:34|
|Type of Birth||758 BC||Isaiah 7:14||Matthew 1:18|
|Place of Birth||710 BC||Micah 5:2||Matthew 2:1|
|Betrayal Paid||487 BC||Zechariah 11:12||Matthew 26:15|
|Form of Death||1018 BC||Psalm 22:16||Mark 15:24|
|No Bones Broken||1042 BC||Psalm 34:20||John 19:33|
|Died with Criminals||712 BC||Isaiah 53:12||Mark 15:27|
|Darkness after Death||718 BC||Amos 8:9||Luke 23:44|
* This is verified by a historian not connected with Jesus by the name of Thallus who wrote of a miraculous day of darkness during Passover in 32 AD. This just happens to be the exact day that Jesus died.
After reading some of the predictions discuss the following questions:
- Who else in the world today is making predictions?
- How many of their predictions come true?
- What other people have had predictions like these made about them before they were born?
- How does this make you feel?
Who Was This Guy?
Jesus was written about in many different places, not just the Bible. (read one, or all the quotes)
“Now there was about this time Jesus, a wise man, if it be lawful to call Him a man, for He was a doer of wonderful works, a teacher of such men as receive the truth with pleasure. He drew over to Him both many of the Jews, and many of the Gentiles.” Flavius Josephus (born in 37 AD) Antiquities. xviii.33
“…in those days the Christian name made its entry into the world, having himself received intelligence from the truth of Christ’s divinity, brought the matter before the senate, with his own decision in favor of Christ.” Justin Martyr (197 AD), Apology, 1.35 in his mention of the conversation between Tiberius and Pontius Pilate.
“As the Jews were making constant disturbances at the instigation of Chrestus (another spelling of Christus or Christ), he expelled them from Rome.” Suetonius (Born 120 AD – a Roman Historian) Life of Clausius 25.4
“These independent accounts prove that in ancient times even the opponents of Christianity never doubted the historicity of Jesus, which was disputed for the first time and on inadequate grounds by several authors at the end of the 18th, during the 19th, and at the beginning of the 20th centuries.” Encyclopaedia Britannica
No credible source doubts Jesus lived. Some scholars say that there is more evidence proving the fact the Jesus lived than Napoleon. For thousands of years millions have come to the conclusion that there was a Man named Jesus who was born, lived into His thirties, and then died.
Discuss the following:
- Did Jesus change history?
You Aren’t Gonna Believe What This Guy Said…
Jesus made some pretty incredible claims–claims that no other major religious leader made. Check them out below:
- “I and the Father are one.” Jesus - John 10:30 (NIV)
- Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.” Jesus - John 14:6 (NIV)
- They all asked, “Are you then the Son of God?”
He (Jesus) replied, “You are right in saying I am.” Luke 22:70 (NIV)
- Again the high priest asked him, “Are you the Christ, the Son of the Blessed One?” “I am,” said Jesus. “And you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Mighty One and coming on the clouds of heaven.” Mark 14:61-62 (NIV)
Discuss the following:
- Who does Jesus claim to be?
- Who do other religious leaders claim they are?
- Who do you think Jesus is?
Don’t Try This One At Home…
The guiding voices in our lives can come from all over, but as we make the choice to pick the ultimate voice, we need to consider one last act of Jesus. The final characteristic of this Perfect Coach is Jesus’ “best performance”-His resurrection from the dead.
- Afterward Jesus appeared in a different form to two of them while they were walking in the country. These returned and reported it to the rest; but they did not believe them (disciples) either. Mark 16:12-13 (NIV)
- While they were still talking about this, Jesus himself stood among them and said to them, “Peace be with you.” They were startled and frightened, thinking they saw a ghost. Luke 24:36-37 (NIV)
- He appeared to more than five hundred of the brothers at the same time, most of whom are still living. 1 Cor 15:6 (NIV)
The bottom line is this: The risen Christ appeared to hundreds of people. You have several possible conclusions:
- THE LIE: Government Conspiracy
Do you think they are all lying? Is it possible to get them all to lie about the same thing, when there are people in authority who would do anything to get them to say it wasn’t true?
- THE HEIST: His Friends Covered It Up.
Did the disciples steal Jesus’ body? Could these men fight off a bunch of trained Roman guards, move a big stone and then prop up Jesus’ body, convincing the crowd that He had risen from the dead?
- THE MYTH: The Whole Thing Never Happened.
Did Jesus never really die? Could He only have passed out, then gotten wrapped in 100 lbs of cloth and spices, unwrapped Himself, rolled aside a stone weighing a ton, fight off a bunch of soldiers and then convince people He died and rose from the dead?
- THE DEAL: Jesus Did Rise from the Dead.
He told the truth. He is God.
Discuss the following:
- Which conclusion seems most likely to you? Why?
How Does This Help Me Fix My Eyes?
Hebrews 12:2- “Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfector of our faith…”
We have covered a lot of ground in our search to have a focused life. We found the most Perfect Coach to listen to. After looking at all this evidence it does appear that Jesus is a strong Candidate to be that focused voice in our lives. At this point you have three choices:
- CRACKED. Maybe Jesus didn’t know what He was saying. Maybe He was crazy.
Maybe He had no idea that He was deranged and was completely convinced He was God, even to the point of death. Could this be?
- CRAFTY. Maybe Jesus did know what He was saying. In other words, maybe He knew His claim to be God was false, and He was trying to deceive people. Maybe He was lying. Could this be?
- COACH. Maybe Jesus is who He says He is–God–and He backed it up with proof.
Maybe He really was raised from the dead.
If he is who He said He was, then He is the Perfect Coach for our lives. You decide.
Discuss the following:
- Is He cracked, crafty, or the ultimate Coach?
- On a scale of 1-10 how would you rate Jesus as the ultimate Coach for your life?