His Grip - "It's About Love!"
God loves me and desires to protect me. His grip on my life will guide, shape, and mold me.
List three times when you felt you were placed on the bench or you faced adversity within your sport. (The situations do not need to be physical. Examples: The time you were yelled at by a coach or parent, or the time you questioned whether the Bible is the true word of God.)
1. Share with everyone in your group how these adverse situations made you feel.
Read 2 Corinthians 4:8-9 - “We are pressured in every way but not crushed; we are perplexed but not in despair; we are
persecuted but not abandoned; we are struck down but not destroyed.”
- We mentioned the phrase “No guts, no glory” on Day 2. Life is going to be tough. You’ll be knocked around. We all are pressured every day. What are some pressures you face in your life? How have you responded? Explain a time in your life when you felt crushed or destroyed. What got you through?
Read 2 Corinthians 4:15-18 - “For all this is because of you, so that grace, extended through more and more people, may cause thanksgiving to overfl ow to God’s glory. Therefore we do not give up; even though our outer person is being destroyed, our inner person is being renewed day by day. For our momentary light affl iction is producing for us an absolutely incomparable eternal weight of glory. So we do not focus on what is seen, but on what is unseen; for what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.”
- What does this passage say about getting through tough times?
God sent us the Holy Spirit as an internal Guide to help us stay in His grip.
Read John 14:16-18 and John 14:25-26
“And I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Counselor to be with you forever. He is the Spirit of truth. The world is unable to receive Him because it doesn’t see Him or know Him. But you do know Him, because He remains with you and will be in you. I will not leave you as orphans; I am coming to you.” (John 14:16-18)
“I have spoken these things to you while I remain with you. But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit – the Father will send Him in My name – will teach you all things and remind you of everything I have told you.” (John 14:25-26)
- Based on these scriptures, describe in your own words one thing the Holy Spirit does. Are there parts of your life that are totally in His grip? Are there any areas of your life that you try to hide from His
Read Ephesians 3:17-19 - “I pray that you, being rooted and fi rmly established in love, may be able to comprehend with all the
saints what is the length and width, height and depth of God’s love, and to know the Messiah’s love
that surpasses knowledge, so you may be fi lled with all the fullness of God.”
- What does this passage say about God’s love? Can you escape His grip? Explain your answer. How does His grip on our lives demonstrate His love for us?
God loves me and desires to protect me. His grip on my life will guide, shape and mold me.
FCA’s Competitor’s Creed states:
I give my all – all of the time.
I do not give up. I do not give in.
I do not give out. I am the Lord’s warrior –
a competitor by conviction
and a disciple of determination.
I am confident beyond reason
because my confidence lies in Christ.
My confidence comes from knowing the love He has for me.
It’s about God. It’s about serving. It’s about love.