Prayer - Chapel
1 – Many people misunderstand our purpose in conducting a chapel for our team.
- Some think that if we pray it will result in a win.
- Some think that if we go to chapel we are more likely to win.
- Some think that if we pray we get God on our side.
- So what’s the point?
- Does God even care about who wins today?
2 – Joshua 5:13-15 sheds some light on such questions (read the text aloud).
- Joshua and his people are about to enter a very strategic battle.
- He sees a man with his sword drawn.
- He says, “Whose side are you on?”
- He’s asking the wrong question.
- Joshua immediately understands who the Lord is and who the servant is. He sees the big picture.
3 – Our purpose in chapel and prayer (saying the Lord’s Prayer) and even for my prayers for you individually…
- It’s not to win God’s favor or to get Him on our side.
- It’s not to make God a good luck charm for our team.
- It is to align our hearts and minds with God’s way of doing things.
- The real question is, “Whose side are we on?”
4 – Today’s challenge –
- Resolve to compete wisely and well and you will be on God’s side.
- Commit your heart to your team and you’ll be going God’s way.
- Sacrifice your personal goals and aspirations for the higher aim of team success and you’ll be doing exactly what Jesus would do.