Respect is an essential element for building a successful team. To experience the best in sport, proper respect must be demonstrated between teammates, coaches, opponents, and the officials. When respect breaks down, so does the sport and its layers of relationship.
- When is it most difficult for you to maintain proper respect for an opponent, teammate, or coach?
- Tell us one way you express respect for the officials on game day. How do they usually respond to you?
- In I Peter 2:17, the apostle wrote simply and directly to his friends, “Honor everyone. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honor the Emperor.”
- Why would Peter say we should honor (respect) everyone?
- How is loving the brotherhood (our teammates) more costly than simply showing respect to everyone?
- What is there about God’s nature that we should fear Him?
- Who is like an emperor in your sports world and how do we honor him or her properly?
- What are some ways our team can show respect for our opponents and the officials during competition?
- How can we demonstrate genuine love for our teammates and coaches?
- Think about one simple action, phrase, or gesture you can use as an expression of respect on the field of competition.
- Consider writing a note, email, or text message to your coaches expressing something you respect about them.
Memory verse: “Honor everyone. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honor the Emperor.” 1 Peter 2:17