3 Minute Drill - Drew Brees Video Study
Sharing the Victory magazine sat down with New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees to talk about leadership, spiritual discipline and the pressures of the NFL. Walk through this four part study by using the questions and videos below.
- What are the qualities of the best leaders?
- Whether or not we are team captains or head coaches, we are all leaders in some capacity. Think of your own areas of leadership. In what ways do you demonstrate good leadership? In what areas do you need to improve?
- How did Jesus model good leadership?
- What are some of His traits that you can incorporate into your own leadership style?
- Do you actively lead others in a positive way on the field and off?
- Another important part of leading is, as Drew Brees said, setting others up to succeed. How do you set your teammates and peers up for success?
Related Scripture: Matthew 20:25-28, 1 Timothy 4:12, 1 John 3:18
- Have you ever been in a similar situation to the one Drew Brees describes? How did you react to being down by a large margin? What was your frame of mind?
- How does that mentality affect how you play the game in those situations?
- How does that relate to everyday situations? Do you ever feel like you are down 24-3 in life?
- Those situations can make us feel hopeless. But, as Christians, we are told that we have “victory in Jesus” in all situations. What does that mean?
- How can your faith in Christ help you in tough on-the-field situations? In tough life situations?
- How can you be a model of Christ to others in those situations?
Related Scripture: Jeremiah 29:11, Romans 5:1-5, Hebrews 10:35-39
- How do you handle pressure? Are you calm or do you panic?
- What does your reaction to pressure reveal about your character? What does it say that you believe about yourself? About God?
- Do you completely and fully trust God with the results of your athletic performance? Why or why not?
- How did Jesus react to pressure?
- How does your poise (or lack thereof) model Christ to those around you?
Related Scripture: John 14:27, Ephesians 6:10, Philippians 4:4-9, Colossians 3:15
- Do you have a personal routine for spiritual development?
- According to Drew Brees, he learns a great deal from the chaplains and pastors who speak to his team. Why is it important to put yourself in a position to learn from others who are wise in their faith?
- How does it hurt us when we don’t participate in spiritual disciplines such as reading the Bible, praying, attending church/chapel and studying His Word with others? How could those make us better?
- What is one spiritual discipline that you need to practice more often? Make a plan to incorporate that into your life and ask a trusted friend to hold you accountable.
Related Scripture: Psalm 119:11, Matthew 6:33, Hebrews 4:12