Increase Your WAFER
“…truly I tell you if you have faith like a grain of a mustard seed you could say to this mountain move from here to there and it will move nothing will be impossible for you.” - Matthew 17:20
If you've grown up in the church, you have probably heard of a communion wafer. It’s a small piece of bread that is taken during Communion with the Cup. Today, I want to talk about a different type of wafer, and it's an acrostic (acronym) that stands for Wisdom, Anointing, Faith, Effectiveness, and Rest. These are things that we can ask God for in prayer each day.
- Wisdom: James 1:5 tells us that “if any of you lacks wisdom let him ask God who gives generously to all without reproach and it will be given to him.” The book of Proverbs is full of wisdom and is a great place to start. Written by Solomon, the wisest man in the world, this book is full of biblical knowledge that can be applied to your life and unlike knowledge, wisdom goes beyond just knowing facts.
- Anointing: Increase your anointing. Psalm 45:7 says, “you have loved righteousness in hated wickedness therefore God your God's anointed you with the oil of joy above your fellows.” This idea of anointing is that God is placing a special calling, a special purpose on your life and that's something that we can pray for an increase in each day.
- Faith: Matthew 17:20 says “…truly I tell you if you have faith like a grain of a mustard seed you could say to this mountain move from here to there and it will move nothing will be impossible for you.” Faith is something that we can always grow in and something that we can always ask for an increase of. We always need more faith because fear can sometimes overcome our faith.
- Effectiveness: 2 Corinthians 9:8 says, “And God is able to bless you abundantly so that in all things at all times having all that you need you will abound in every good work.” This verse is saying that God’s blessing will help you be effective and bear fruit. But the bearing of fruit is just really a natural byproduct of spiritual growth.
- Rest: So, we ask for an increase in effectiveness and we complete our work for His glory, then we can finally ask for rest. It's not just physical rest, like sleeping or taking a nap, but it's a spiritual rest or an abiding. Matthew 11:28-30 says, “come to me all who labor and are heavy laden and I will give you rest.” This rest is not something that we take for ourselves, but it is a rest that God gives to us. We should take up God’s yoke and learn from Him. He is gentle and lightens your spiritual load.
My encouragement to each one of you is to seek God for an increase in your WAFER. Seek Him for an increase in your wisdom, an increase in your anointing, an increase in your faith, an increase in your effectiveness, and an increase in your rest.
- What are some ways that you can grow in your wisdom? How is that different from knowledge?
- How have you seen God strengthen your faith throughout your life?
- What does it look like for you to take time for spiritual rest and abiding in Christ?
James 1:6-10; Matthew 11:29-30
“Dear God, I pray for an increase in my WAFER. Fill me with Your wisdom, anoint me with Your spirit, strengthen my faith, grow my effectiveness, and grant me rest. In Jesus' name, I pray, Amen."