Solid Hope for Coaches
Wisdom for a Young Head Coach
I Timothy 4:9-15
Read the text aloud.
- How does one place his hope in the Living God? (vv.9-10) By trusting Christ as his savior and Lord. Through faith and in prayer. How is God described in verse 10? The Living God who is the Savior of all men.
- How is He the savior of those who believe? He has rescued us from our sins. How so for those who don’t believe? His grace has been extended to them as well, even before they have received Him. His life in believers has restored God’s ways in them and that impacts even those who are not yet Christians. (…all men… verse 10)
- How can younger head coaches rise above the tendency of people to disrespect them because of their youth? (vv.11-16) Read the attitudes and actions in these verses.
- Who among your coaching peers sets a great example as in verse 12? Tell us about a young coach who is doing a great job with a wise attitude.
- To what coaching methods and philosophies are you devoted? (v.13) What are the foundational principles that guide your coaching?
- How are you and/or others on your staff uniquely gifted as coaches? (v.14) List the gifts and abilities that your staffers each possess.
- How does one measure diligence in coaching? (v.15) Is it measured simply in hours? Is it measured by wins and losses? Is it measured in character? How do we monitor the values that guide our lives and our staff? (vv.15-16) How do we keep an eye on more than just the nuts and bolts of coaching? How do you keep a proper perspective on the big picture?
- Maintain your trust in the Living God through faith and prayer.
- Follow the example shown in Paul’s instructions to Timothy.
- Keep a focus on your coaching values, your staff’s gifts and wisely measure diligence.
- The questions for discussion will appear in normal text like this.
- Suggested answers, discussion hints and follow up questions will appear in italics like this.
1 Timothy 4