Truth Wins: Truth Beats Lies
The best relationships are firmly rooted in honesty and in telling each other the truth. Great sports teams are no different. Many undefeated teams are built on strong, truthful relationships between teams and their coaches. Things break down quickly for a team when lies are told or when the truth is withheld among teammates and kept from coaches.
- What happens to your team when someone is less than truthful with teammates or coaches?
- How do lies affect the relationships of teammates?
- What kinds of lies cause the greatest damage on sports teams?
- How does telling the truth help a team avoid such damage?
The Proverbs have timeless wisdom for our teams. Proverbs 12:19 says, “Truthful lips endure forever, but a lying tongue, only a moment.”
- Why would truthful speech endure?
- What are some lies you’ve heard about your teammates or coaches that only lasted a moment before being proven wrong?
- Among your teammates, who consistently tells the truth even when it hurts?
- Commit to telling the truth in love (Ephesians 4:15), even when it is difficult for others to hear.
- Wisely and carefully expose lies and restore the relationships affected by them.
- Trust God’s promise that truthful speech will endure while lies will blow away like dust.
“So Jesus said to the Jews who had believed Him, ‘If you continue in My word, you really are My disciples. You will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.’” – John 8:31-32