Coach’s Final Commands
Wisdom for a Young Head Coach
I Timothy 6:17-21
- Why is wealth, which leads to arrogance among coaches and/or others associated with the program, such an insecure source of hope? (v.17) It’s uncertain in its origin and can disappear as quickly as it arrived.
- What can we do as coaches to be rich as described in verses 18 and 19? Invest in the people around us, our staff and players. Be generous. What are such good deeds? Giving second chances, overlooking offenses, loving the unlovely, patience with difficult people…
- What are you doing to guard the instruction of your mentor(s) and the wisdom gathered from your coaching contemporaries? Keep a journal, compile a notebook, catalog videotapes…
- With whom are you sharing such instruction and wisdom? Assistant coaches, players, graduate assistants, coaches in other programs…
- Watch out for the deceptive power of greed.
- Invest deeply in the people of your program.
- Guard and pass on the wisdom and instruction you’ve gained from your mentors in coaching and life.
- Read the bible verse aloud at the beginning.
- The questions for discussion will appear in normal text like this.
- Suggested answers, discussion hints and follow up questions will appear in italics like this.
1 Timothy 6