Wisdom for a Young Head Coach
II Timothy 3:1-9
- Which of the characteristics listed in verses 2-9 are evident in coaches or programs with which you’re familiar? Greed, arrogance, malicious, out of control, which?
- How do these coaches put up a front of proper conduct and good coaching, but if examined closely would be seen as without real power or substance? (v. 5) They say the right things, but their behavior and attitudes betray them.
- How does Paul recommend that Timothy relate to such men? (v. 5) Avoid them. How would such a recommendation affect your hiring of staff? I’d try to see these things about them before hiring them and choose someone else.
- What is the inevitable end for such coaches? (v. 9) They’ll be exposed and will not progress along the path.
- Watch out for renegades and the baggage they could carry into your program.
- Look below the surface to see their true character.
- Avoid the renegades and watch as they self-destruct.
- Read the bible verse aloud at the beginning.
- The questions for discussion will appear in normal text like this.
- Suggested answers, discussion hints and follow up questions will appear in italics like this.
1 Timothy 3