Wisdom for a Young Head Coach
II Timothy 1:13-18
- What did you learn from your mentor that you still hold as foundational principles for your coaching philosophy? (vv.13-14) What were the three or four coaching points he/she always talked about? How do you guard such valuable commodities? Keep a notebook, computer program, journal, note cards…
- Have you ever felt like you were abandoned as a coach? (v.15) Fired without cause… Left hanging in a recruiting situation…What was the situation? Tell us the story…
- Who has been a refreshing friend to you like Onesiphorus was to Paul? (vv.16-18) Another coach? A friend from church? Your spouse? A player?
- How can you be a refreshing friend to a coach who’s embroiled in controversy? Assure the person of our friendship. Spend time together. Speak well of your friend in public…
- Guard well the foundational principles you learned from your mentor.
- Thank God for the friends that refresh our souls.
- Be a refreshing friend to your friends who may be caught in a controversy.
- Read the bible verse aloud at the beginning.
- The questions for discussion will appear in normal text like this.
- Suggested answers, discussion hints and follow up questions will appear in italics like this.
1 Timothy 1